Search Forum

Our Magazines

AndreaNauman

Unregistered

Thursday, September 22nd 2011, 4:23am

FENCHEL born WFT Est. 1670-1715 in (Schwaben, Germany), and died WFT Est. 1710-1795.

Is anyone researching the Fenchel family?

Looking for the first name of this person, wife, and parents....etc.

I know his son is Simon Fenchel born 1710 in Germany, first immigrant of the family to the US.

FENCHEL was born WFT Est. 1670-1715 in (Schwaben, Germany), and died WFT Est. 1710-1795.

ANY INFORMATION IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thursday, September 22nd 2011, 5:52am

I know his son is Simon Fenchel born 1710 in Germany

Andrea,

in your other thread you wrote Simon was born between 1710 and 1741. ?( :?:
Gruß
Anita

Baerbel

† 2016 Ruhe in Frieden

Thursday, September 22nd 2011, 7:52pm

Hy Andrea,

are you sure that your Simon Fenchel was born in "Schwaben" Germany? (Swabia)

If it is so, you should post your search in "Regionalforschung/Baden-Württemberg".
"Schwaben" (Swabia) is the name of a region in the south west of Germany - today part of the federal state "Baden-Württemberg".

You've posted the search in "Regionalforschung/Rheinland-Pfalz" which is further north. South west Germany as well but some hundred kilometres away from the region "Schwaben".
If your forefathers went to the USA immediately, the mention of "Schwaben" may really mean "Schwaben"/Swabia.
It is a bit different for those families who went to Hungary/Romania/Banat in the 1700s. They are called "Banater Schwaben" but quite a lot of them were from the Rhineland (today Rheinland-Pfalz/Rhineland-Palatinate).

Try to find out more about the place where your Simon Fenchel came from - names of towns or villages. Swabia/Schwaben contains several cities like Stuttgart, Ulm, Tübingen, quite a lot of bigger towns and some hundred (or probably some thousand) villages.
Without any hint e. g. a name of a village or a town it will be very hard to find the right trace.

Don't give up but post the search at "Regionalforschung/Baden-Württemberg" too.

Best wishes and may your search be successful

Greetings
Bärbel

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Baerbel" (Sep 22nd 2011, 7:55pm)

Baerbel

† 2016 Ruhe in Frieden

Thursday, September 22nd 2011, 9:06pm

Hy Andrea,

in addition about Schwaben - Swabia:

It is also for German people not easy to trace the borders of the old territories. But here are some hints.

Big parts of the old "Schwaben/Swabia" are called "Württemberg" till today. (You will find a lot of "Fenchel" entries in the mormons database "www.familysearch.org" which have the addition "Württemberg" - They may not be related to your ancestors but the may show a way where to search).
Other parts between Ulm and Augsburg in the east of the region are part of the federal state of "Bayern"/Bavaria today. Big parts of the Black Forest (Schwarzwald) are regarded to be swabian till today. The german borders of the "Bodensee" (Lake Constance) are said to be "swabian" while the city of Freiburg a bit north of Lake Constance belongs to "Baden" and not to "Swabia". The borders between "Württemberg" (Swabia) and "Baden" in the very south west of Germany are confusing and unclear to us Germans, which are not grown up in the very south west, too.

There is also another hint that may help you: Remark the confession of the people. - In Württemberg/Schwaben (Swabia) there are a lot of protestants - some are "evangelisch-luterisch" (luteran) but quite a remarkable nummer of people there where "reformed" and Calvinists. Swabia was one of Germans highposts of the "calvinists" confession in early modern times. A lot of the people (and towns and villages) of "Baden" are catholic. The different confessions played an important role in early modern times and it caused confusions and forced compromises also after 1945 during the forming of the new federal state of Germany called "Baden-Württemberg".

So much for some background information. I am not from this area and therefore my knowledge about the region is weak. But perhaps it may help you nevertheless.

Greeting from Germany

Bärbel

AndreaNauman

Unregistered

Friday, September 23rd 2011, 2:36am

the Rhineland (today Rheinland-Pfalz/Rhineland-Palatinate).

Re: the Rhineland (today Rheinland-Pfalz/Rhineland-Palatinate)

I think you are correct about this! I am almost positive my family was part of the Palatine (sp?) Migration, so this makes sense.

I do know they were not Catholic.

I was not sure where to begin with my search, once I reached the German ancestry - I am not familiar with the districts/towns.

I read about connection to the Speyer District - but I am not sure exactly where that is or if it goes by a new name.

I'm extremely new to this website as well...little confusing....

Thanks for your help...I'll continue to search