Search Forum

Our Magazines

Sunday, November 19th 2017, 6:53pm

Gustav Adolf Wangel, born 1724 in Stralsund

I am researching my wifes family going back to Gustaf Adolf Wangel, born Sep 16, 1724 in Stralsund.
He had a military career and the data I have are from the Swedish military records.
In his records it is stated:

1738, june 16 accepted as a volunteer at Baron General Major Schwerins Regiment, later named Kongl Sprengtportens regiment.
In 1742 he voluntarily went to Finland and was accepted Aug 4 at Svea Livgarde.

I would greatly appreciate any leads or suggestions to where I can find his birth records and information on parents and relatives.

In doing internet searches on Wangel, I have discovered cities/regions as well as beer with that name.
The family name Wangel has shown up in searches but not in the right area and timeframe.

Thanks

Ott

Societies: Pommerscher Greif e.V., Verein für Computergenealogie,

Monday, November 20th 2017, 5:40pm

The pages https://www.familysearch.org/search/film…9601&cc=1475887 may help. They are the church book card index STralsund 1600 - 1900 and are online accessable, if you are registerd (for free) at familysearch.

Regards Margret

Saturday, November 25th 2017, 4:57pm

Thank you Margret for the lead.
I was very hopeful but after going through the records I have not found a match.

Is there another city/parish close to Stralsund that would be worthwhile searching?
Or are there any way to search based on birth date in case he changed his last name ?

Many thanks

Magnus