Schröder, Schulz, Wiese and Rönnau

• I am new to this list and do not speak German but will give it a try. I am from Australia.

I am looking for connections to the above families in the Dithmarschen area. Claus Schröder and wife Margaretha Schulz came to Australia in 1864. They were from the town Wörden / Wöhrden. Other surnames connected to Claus and Margaretha were Wiese and Rönnau. Thanks, Kerry

Moderator-Übersetzung/Translation:
    ich bin neu hier und spreche kein deutsch, aber ich probiere es mal. Ich bin aus Australien.

Ich suche Verbindungen zu den oben genannten Familien in und um Dithmarschen. Claus Schröder und seine Frau Margaretha Schulz kamen in 1864 nach Australien. Sie kamen aus Wörden / Wöhrden. Andere Nachnamen mit Verbindung zu Claus und Margaretha waren Wiese und Rönnau.
    Danke, Kerry

• Hallo Kerry,

der Name Rönnau ist in Schleswig-Holstein sehr verbreitet, auch heute noch. Ich habe den Namen auch in meiner Ahnenliste. Meine Urgroßmutter III stammt allerdings aus Lebrade bei Plön (geb. ca 1770).

Gruß

Margret

Moderator-Übersetzung / Translation:
    The name Rönnau occurs frequently all over Schleswig-Holstein, even today. I have this name in my list of ancestors. By the way, my Greatgrandmother III came from Lebrade near Plön (born approx. 1770).

• Hello Kerry,

do you know, when Margaretha Schulz was born? In the census list from 1835 there is a Margaretha Schulz in Wöhrden. She is the one year old daughter of Jochim Hinrich Schulz (49 years old, Tagelöhner and Häuerling (i don't know the correct translation for his profession, i would translate it with relief worker and lessee) and his wife Wiebke Wiese (44 years old). They had three more children. One girl: Wiebke Schulz (14 years old) and two boys: Johann Christian Schulz (13 years old) and Peter Schulz (6 years old). The alltogether lived in house no. 10 in Wöhrden.

Wer weiß was über: Alexander aus Kreis Schneidemühl, Karnath aus Kreis Karthaus, Kämmer und Höllger aus Elbing, Petrich aus Kreis Bromberg, Poggenmöller, Poggemöller, oder Steinhauer aus Kreis Minden

• I also found 5 Claus Schröder in Wöhrden. 1835 when the census list was made, they wehre 14 years, 16 years, 35years , 62 years, and 62 years old. Is one of the first two your Claus Schröder?

greetins
    Oliver

Wer weiß was über: Alexander aus Kreis Schneidemühl, Karnath aus Kreis Karthaus, Kämmer und Höllger aus Elbing, Petrich aus Kreis Bromberg, Poggenmöller, Poggemöller, oder Steinhauer aus Kreis Minden

• Hi Kerry, Hi Oliver,

according to LEO the online dictionary http://dict.leo.org/

Tagelöhner = Day Labourer
    Häuerling found no results, but there is also a forum on LEO with two topics about these two terms

General opinion is that it is (or should be) Heuerling, not Häuerling
    and he is either a mercenary - a soldier you can hire (heuer) or he is a farm labourer hired by the day,
    or he is a wood cutter, from hauen, to chop

regards,
    Bob

• Hello Bob,

the modern german word for the old northgerman "Häuerling" is Pächter and, as far as i know, in the southern parts of Germany Häuerling was a word for a mercenary. That great online dictionary (THANKS!!! :thumbsup: ) translates Pächter to:

renter,
    tenantry,
    leaseholder,
    lessee, :D
    locator,
    or tenant

• Hallo Oliver,

thinking about it afterwards, i remembered that in the LEO-discussion they mentioned finding "Tagelöhner" and "Häuerling" in the 1802 census. You found them in the census of 1835 and I don't suppose there were that many mercenaries around, so I was also thinking more of something to do with land and farming.

Thanks for confirming this, with "Pächter"

And yes, LEO is good - I hardly ever use my book-dictionary now !
    I also like the fact that they publish any forum-discussions of unknown words.

regards,
    Bob

• Thankyou very much for this reply. Claus Schröder was born abt 1835/38 with parents listed as Claus Schroder and Anna Rönnau. Two other brothers cames to Australia on seperated ships. One called Johann Henrick and the other called Peter Schroder. Johann Henrick was born about 1829 and Peter was born about 1836 according to shipping records . They all listed Wöhrden as their place of residence.

Margartha Johanna Schulz has parents listed as Jacob/Joseph Schulz and Anna Weise. Father's occupation is listed as a carpenter. margaretha was born abt 1835/36 according to her death certificate.

• Claus and Margaretha are my gggrandparents. They started a dairy farm in Australia. Claus's father was a farmer according to his death certificate. The name Martin is the middle name of most of the boys born in Australia. Another man in Germany told me that Margaretha was born Elisabea Margaretha Schulz but I am not sure if this is true.

Regards,

Kerry

• Hi,

in the 1835 census list the married couple Claus Schröder and Anna Margretha Rönnau is listet.

Claus Schröder was a 35 years old Day Labourer and lessee (so he was a farmer). His wife Anna Margretha was 41 years old. They lived in house no 61 in Wöhrden, together with their son Johann Hinrich Schröder (9 years old) and their nurse child Claus Simon Horning (3 years old).

I also found 2 Jacob Schulz, but in 1835 they both were children:

Johann Jacob Schulz, two years old, son of Georg Gottfried Lüder Schulz and Telsche Behrens

and Johann Jacob Schulz, ten years old son of the dress maker Christian Schulz and Anna Dorothea Matthiesen

Do you know, when Claus and Margaretha married? Perhaps the parish register can give you some informations?

One hint at the end: the names on the 1835 census list were written downthe way they were pronounced. So, for example, a Johann Hans Hinrich Schulz could be written down as Johann Schulz, Hinrich Schulz, Hans Schulz, Hannes Schulz, Heinrich Schulz, etc.