Search Forum

Our Magazines

Dear visitor, Welcome to Forum zur Ahnenforschung . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

andy bray 300568

Unregistered

Wednesday, January 21st 2009, 5:18pm

my great aunt

I need help to find what happened to my great aunt her name was either MINNIE or MILLIE her surname was hollyomes but could have been spelt HOLLYOMES or HOLLYHOMES, just after the first world war she met and fell in love with a german p.o.w. after he went home around 1920-22 she followed him, they married and had at least two boys, as my grandmother has said that her boys would have been of fighting age during world war 2. if any one can offer any ideas as to where to look or start, as i would like to know if i have any famliy in germany,

Moderator Translation/Übersetzung:

Ich suche Hilfe um herauszufinden was geschah mit meiner Grosstante MINNIE oder MILLIE, ihr Nachname war
HOLLYOMES oder HOLLYHOMES. Gleich nach dem ersten Weltkrieg traf sie einen Deutschen Kriegsgefangenen
und verliebte sich in ihn. Nachdem er wieder nach Hause gehen konnte (zwischen 1920 und 1922) folgte sie ihm,
sie heirateten und hatten mindestens zwei Söhne, da meine Grossmutter sagte, dass ihre Söhne im wehrfähigen
Alter waren während des zweiten Weltkriegs. Könnte mir jemand Tipps geben wie ich mit der Suche beginnen
und wo ich nachschauen könnte? Ich würde gerne wissen, ob ich noch Verwandte in Deutschland habe.

Svenja

Moderatorin

Location: Kanton Luzern, Schweiz; Herkunft: Kanton Zug, Schweiz

Wednesday, January 21st 2009, 5:38pm

Hi Andy

Welcome to our Forum.
Without more facts it would be difficult if not impossible to find out more.

When and where was your great aunt born?
I assume Hollyhomes was her maiden name.
Do you know the name of the german POW?
Do you know in which POW camp, in which region he was?
Do you know which place/region in Germany he came from?
Do you know which place/region in Germany they went to?

Best regards
Svenja
Geschichten zu meinen Vorfahren und auf den Spuren der ITEN-Familien in den USA.
http://iten-genealogie.jimdo.com/
Mit Linklisten: Auswanderung, Kriegsschicksale, Deutsche Ostgebiete, jüdische Genealogie.

andy bray 300568

Unregistered

Wednesday, January 21st 2009, 9:42pm

my great aunt

She was born in bethnal green london around 1884-90, i presume they met in england either bethnal green, leyton, leytonstone or hackney, i dont know who he was as it was kept quiet,

Anke

Trainee

Wednesday, January 21st 2009, 11:04pm

Hi Andy,

as Svenja already mentioned: without additional facts, you will have a hard time finding out more about your great aunt. One very important piece of information would be her husband's last name.

Since you know that she had two sons, I am assuming that someone of your family was still in contact with her after she got married. Have you asked around in your family? Maybe people would be willing to speak about her now since this happened so long ago. Or maybe someone of the younger generation has inherited mementos (like old letters) they'd be willing to share with you.

Good luck with your search,
Anke

Svenja

Moderatorin

Location: Kanton Luzern, Schweiz; Herkunft: Kanton Zug, Schweiz

Friday, January 23rd 2009, 5:59pm

Hi Andy,

Why don't you know her birthday and place of birth?
Haven't you looked up the Census and BMD Websites?
I think you should find her on the 1891 and 1901 Census with her parents.
I don't know if on her original birthcert were added facts about her marriage.
If you need help on this someone of the rootschat forum can do it for you.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/

Best wishes
Svenja
Geschichten zu meinen Vorfahren und auf den Spuren der ITEN-Familien in den USA.
http://iten-genealogie.jimdo.com/
Mit Linklisten: Auswanderung, Kriegsschicksale, Deutsche Ostgebiete, jüdische Genealogie.

andy bray 300568

Unregistered

Friday, January 23rd 2009, 11:04pm

her birth place

hi Svenja
she was born minnie pilgrove sarah hollyomes in 1887 in bethnal green london,
sorry i should have put this on as well. this is one of the sisters ive found so far as to the census records i looked but up to now have been anable to find any of them, apart from 1911 may be his brother however he spelt his name hollyhomes, im not suprised by this as coming from that part of london they may not have been able to read and write properly.

andy bray 300568

Unregistered

Monday, January 26th 2009, 8:13pm

my great aunt

i may have made a couple of errors, so this is what i know one my great grand fathers sisters minnie who was born on 5th febuary 1887 in bethnal green london, or millie who was born in 1897 also in bethnal green their surname was spelt hollyomes or hollyhomes . At some point during the first world war met a german p.o.w and fell in love. when the war ended he when home at some point between 1920-22 she followed him i assume the married however i cannot be sure, i do know that she had two boys as my nan has said that he feared that his boys could be shooting at his nephews, as they would have been in their late teens.