Search Forum

Our Magazines

Dear visitor, Welcome to Forum zur Ahnenforschung . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Kurtzc

Unregistered

Saturday, November 28th 2009, 1:34am

Looking for information about the Kurtz family (Maybe from Bromberg?)

My Great Great-grandfather Gust Adolph Kurtz 08/10/1876 immigrated to the United States around 1896. To my knowledge he came to the United States by himself, leaving his two sisters, father, and mother in Germany. His death certificate states that his fathers name was John Kurtz and his mothers name was Minnie Dadatz. I do have a picture of him as a child, but I am not sure what the writing on the back means. It says: L. Basilius photor.-artist Atelier Bromberg Danzigerstr. 7.

I would like to find the names of his sisters and weather or not they had any children. I would also like to know if Gust's father had any brothers or sisters. I am fairly new at researching family history, especially in other countries.

Any information and or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thank you!

Cindi

Saturday, November 28th 2009, 10:21pm

Kurtz

Hallo Cindi,
welcome to this forum.
Your Great Great-grandfather name is surely "Gustav Adolph Kurtz" ( or Kürtz). His fathers name was surely Johann, John is the english translation Minnie is probably "Wilhelmine" or "Hermine".On the back of the photo it's the adress of the photographer: L. Basilius. He had his studio at " Danzigerstr.7"( street of Gdansk number 7).The mormons microfilmed several church-books.At USA it's easier to look for.What kind of religion your ancestors were? Today Bromberg is at Poland, its name is "Bydgoszcz".
Good luck for your searching!

Jutta
Es ist nicht das Wissen, sondern das Lernen,
nicht das Besitzen, sondern das Erwerben,
nicht das Dasein, sondern das Hinkommen,
was den größten Genuss gewährt.
Carl Friedrich Gauß

Suche FN Wittmann und Angeheiratete-FN Hoffmann/ Oberschlesien-FN Naujock /Ostpreußen

Kurtzc

Unregistered

Monday, November 30th 2009, 4:47am

Looking for information about the Kurtz family (Maybe from Bromberg?)

Thank you very much for the information. I think my ancestors may have been protestant, but I am not positive. I do have a Mormon family history center down the road from me; I will have to stop in to see what I can find. Do you know if it will be harder to find information due to the fact that the town is now in Poland?

Again, thank you for the information and welcoming me to the forum! :)

Monday, November 30th 2009, 1:54pm

Hallo Cindi,

I don't think so,it's easier than at Germany, but you have to look for Bromberg. On www.familysearch.org you can find the numbers of films from Bromberg, which are photographed at Lübeck.Several film you can look for, but not me at Germany. You have to book the films.

Kind regards from rainy Germany

Jutta
Es ist nicht das Wissen, sondern das Lernen,
nicht das Besitzen, sondern das Erwerben,
nicht das Dasein, sondern das Hinkommen,
was den größten Genuss gewährt.
Carl Friedrich Gauß

Suche FN Wittmann und Angeheiratete-FN Hoffmann/ Oberschlesien-FN Naujock /Ostpreußen