Search Forum

Our Magazines

Dear visitor, Welcome to Forum zur Ahnenforschung . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Mykolas78

Beginner

• "Mykolas78" started this thread

Wednesday, January 18th 2012, 9:01am

Portofee, Goehrke (East Prussia)

Hello,

recently I learned ,that part of my family comes from East Prussia (Virballen, Wilkowischken - today - Lithuania). I am looking for information about the meaning of names PORTOFEE, GOEHRKE.

Thank you in advance.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Mykolas78" (Jan 18th 2012, 9:06am)

löhken

Trainee

Thursday, January 19th 2012, 5:12pm

hello, had a look around , couldn't find no further clues though, apart from that there is a different spelling "portofée". so maybe of french origin, maybe with a different spelling
for Göhrke Goehrke Goerke probably a version of gehrke possibly leading back to georgke
havea look on http://goerke.us/genealogy/

Thursday, January 19th 2012, 5:35pm

Goehrke

Hello

Goerke in East Prussia are also some of my forefathers, but I dont know anything of them. (take a look on my online-family tree.

The name Portefee must be french, so maybe with the hugenots that french family came to Germany.

Peter

Friday, January 20th 2012, 5:49pm

Hi,

The spelling PORTEFÉE is a little more common, it was recorded in the state of Schleswig-Holstein and in France.
However, the correct spelling must be PORTEFAIX, a homonyme, which occurs very often in France.
Portefaix means carrier.

CQ

Mykolas78

Beginner

• "Mykolas78" started this thread

Wednesday, January 25th 2012, 12:17pm

Hello all,
thank you veru much for your answers.
It's very interesting for me, especially because I had never imagined that my ancestors came from East Prussia, and now I learn that even from France ...
Thank you.
MR