Search Forum

Our Magazines

Dear visitor, Welcome to Forum zur Ahnenforschung . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rachellittlemyer

Unregistered

Friday, April 20th 2012, 4:51am

Littlemyer

Hi I am helping my sister in law find her half-sister. The only info I have is her first name Cheri. Her mother''s name is Bergitta, (not sure of the spelling) and I have no Last Name. Her father would be my father in law, James Littlemyer from USA who was stationed in the Army in Germany around 1959 to 1963 and Cheri would have been born around 1962 or 1963. If anyone can help us find her or anything about her please let me know. My email is: (*) . Thank you!!

(*) Moderator-Anmerkung/Moderator Comment:
Personal data removed in accordance with the Forum policy to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the PM system or the forum e-mail messaging system to exchange private data

Detlef05

Trainee

Friday, April 20th 2012, 9:20am

Hello Rachel,

Cheri is no German first name. Chéri is French, meaning darling, babe, toots. Therefore it will be rather difficult (or impossible) to help you without having further information.

Kind regards
Detlef

rachellittlemyer

Unregistered

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 2:29am

Dear Detlef,

Thank you so much for responding. I am afraid I have no way of obtaining any further information about Cheri or her mother. My father in law has been gone since 2000. Can you give me the spelling for Cheri in German? Perhaps I am mis-spelling it.

Thank you,
Rachel

Detlef05

Trainee

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 9:21am

Hello Rachel,

the translation of French "chéri/Chéri" is German "Liebling, Schatz, Schätzchen". I don't think there is a mis-spelling of a first name but Chéri was used as a term of endearment.

Kind regards
Detlef

Berlin-Bob

Administrator

Societies: CompGen

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 10:41am

Hi Rachel,

as Detlef has said, Chérie isn't a real name but a form of endearment.

In englisch it would be Dear or Dearie, or Love (or Luv in many dialects).

It's possible, (although I'm only speculating now :D ), that Chérie became a real name in english-speaking countries and was transformed to Sheryll (and variations).

Do you know whereabouts James Littlemyer was stationed ? If it was near the french border or Alsace -Lorraine, then Chérie (my Dear) would have been quite common usage.

regards,
Bob
suche mehr Ahnen für mein Website http://www.margulies-chronicles.com/index.DE.php (deutsch) / (english)
insbesonders Remenyi (Ruml), Margulies, Morser (Mörzer) in Polen, Ungarn, Slovakei, Österreich, ....

Detlef05

Trainee

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 11:29am

Hello Rachel,

what do you think about the English first name Cheryl instead of the French term of endearment Chéri(e)?

Kind regards
Detlef

rachellittlemyer

Unregistered

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 5:03pm

Dear Bob,

Thank you so much for your response. I'm not sure where he was stationed, but he spoke of Aschaffenburg alot. I don't know if there is a military base there or not.

Thank you
Rachel

rachellittlemyer

Unregistered

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 5:05pm

Dear Detlef,

When he spoke of her, he just said Cheri...My husband has a sister born in the USA named Cheryl, so I would think that Mr. Littlemyer would have named Cheryl, (my sister in law here in USA) a different name had he meant that for Cheri, but I cannot be sure.

Thank you
Rachel

Detlef05

Trainee

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 5:37pm

Hello Rachel,

these are the military bases of Aschaffenburg (in parentheses: nationality, year of close-down):
  • Aschaffenburg
    • Aschaffenburg Army Airfield (USA, 1991)
    • Fiori Barracks (USA, 1992)
    • Graves Barracks (USA, 1992)
    • Jaeger Kaserne (USA, 1992)
    • Ready Barracks (USA, 1992)
    • Smith Barracks (USA, 1992)
    • Taylor Barracks (USA, 1990)

Kind regards
Detlef

rachellittlemyer

Unregistered

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 6:19pm

Dear Detlef,

Thank you for the information. I will talk to my mother in law and see if she knows which base it would be.

Rachel

Sunday, April 29th 2012, 8:24pm

When doing a search, you might try some alternate spellings of Cheri.

Some names to think about: Cheri, Sherry, Shari, Sheri, Sheridan, Sherine, Cheryl, Siri, Shaelie, Sherin (Saron/Sharon), ect.

If he was American, then going by standard spelling isn't always helpful. There's a whole list of names on this website if you want to read through more: http://www.babynamewizard.com/baby-name/girl/s

Also, you might have better luck snooping around facebook and other network sites. If she was born in the 60s, her information might not be public information yet.

assi.d.

Trainee

Societies: VSFF

Tuesday, May 1st 2012, 4:59pm

If it was near the french border or Alsace -Lorraine, then Chérie (my Dear) would have been quite common usage.

@Berlin-Bob: but not in the time 1959-1963.... ;( It sounds quiet new.

Assi

Und was ich nicht ändern kann, da bleibe ich weiter dran... (Herbert Grönemeyer)