• I am looking for the birthplace of my ancsestor Karl Loenneke. He was born March 20 1825 in Hanover Germany. His name was often called Charles and have also had his birth year in 1828. If anyone could find out about what exact town or any church records would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Hello David,

did you already check in a first step these LDS-microfilm-indexes:
    Hannover-civil-on L.D.S. films-0492821 to 826 : surname index in six parts-maternity hospital birth register, 1811-1879 .

And/or this one:
    Kirchenbuchindex, 1774-1875 Evangelische Kirche Hannover (StKr. Hannover)
    =
    Parish register index of baptisms, marriages and deaths, 1774-1959 for the city of Hannover, Hannover, Germany.
    This index etc can also be found and read here: http://www.kirche-hannover.de/kirchenbuchamt .

Kind regards
    Detlef

• I have already searched on the LLDS website and could not find anything about Karl (Charles) parents or any specific town that he was from. As far as the Lutheran website you gave me, I am not for sure how to go about looking him up. I saw the 2 links the church index but could not find anything with specific surnames. Should I write a request to them? Any help about how to go about this would be greatly appreciated.

• Hello David,

unfortunately the fees of the Kirchenbuchamt Hannover (= churchbooks office Hannover) are extraordinary high. See: Homepage > folder: Gebühren > (for more details:) Die Gebührentafel als PDF-Datei. Therefore it might be the best way to find anybody living in/near Hannover, who will personally do the job for you and pre-finance the fees. Maybe one of the listers will do that.
    Keep in mind that the first step (going through the index) may follow the next steps (going through different church registers). That may take time. And it may be efficient to research further ancestors etc. at the same time.

An alternative is to find a professional genealogist; that is more expencive.

Another alternative is to write a request to the Kirchenbuchamt Hannover, as you mentioned. Write precisely what you want (e.g. a copy of the index regarding all Loennekes (Lönneke), a copy of Karl's birth entry, marriage entry, death enty, entries of the wife(s), parents, siblings, children ect.).

Kind regards
    Detlef

• Thank you so much for the help! I will try to write or e-mail the church first to see if I can find any information on that. I would like to have more family memebers to be looked up in Germany before I invest money into it. Wish me luck!