• Hello, my name is Marie Sellers and I am doing family history research in more than one area of Germany. My Surnames are: Mattfeld, Kneip, Ziegan, Gerstner, Bachmann, & Marschke.

What I am most concerned with right now is my grandfather, Friedrich J. Mattfeld, b. 4 Jun 1905 in Achim bei Bremen. His parents names are Heinrich Mattfeld and Augusta Bachmann-Mattfeld. I know he had one sister named Lisa who married a Nolte and had at least one son, named Dieter Nolte, whom I believe might live in the Berlin area.

Friedrich emigrated from Bremen to the U.S. in July 1923. His last place of residence in Germany was Worpedorf-Grasberg. He lived for a short time in Brooklyn, N.Y. with his uncle, Johann Bachmann, who was born in Oyten.

I have been unable to find any kind of birth, marriage, christening or death records online for Niedersachsen. Any clues as to where to go next to look?

Danke,

Marie Sellers

• Hello Marie,

First of all welcome to the forum! Please try the meta search on this website http://meta.genealogy.net/.

Nachname = surname
    Ortsname = place

You'll find a long list of Mattfelds from different databases available on this websites (family trees, address books, gravestones etc.). As to the first name Heinrich, please also consider the spelling Hinrich.

Detailed information on the documents that are available in Bremen can be found here (it's in German, but perhaps you can use Google Translate):
    http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/B…nd_historische_Unterlagen

Obviously the LDS has got films of the civil registers back to 1810, too, so if there is a family history center near to where you live, I would recommend to use that.

Best regards,
    Simone

• Hello Marie,
    I was born and raised in Achim bei Bremen and also have a lot of ancestors and research contacts there. If you want, contact me and I may be able to help you! Mattfeld is a rather common name and I also know a woman with that surname.

best regards,
    Julian (Brandt)