Normale Alter für die Ehe in frühen 1800er Jahren?/Normal age for marriage in early 1800s?

• Hallo,

Ich habe eine vielleicht dumme Frage - ist mit 23 Jahren ein gemeinsames Alter für eine Frau in Deutschland in den frühen 1800er Jahren zu heiraten? Es wäre ein wenig alt für eine Ehe zu dieser Zeit in den USA.

Ich habe eine Anna Maria Staarmann aus Alfhausen in meinem Stammbaum, die Johan Josef Grimme aus Epe / Malgarten verheiratet. Die Ehe war 1818 in Epe / Malgarten. Ich habe eine Transkription der Kirchenbücher aus Alfhausen und ich versuche, herauszufinden, welche Staarmann Familie meine Anna Maria kam. (Die Ehe ist sowohl im Epe / Malgarten und Alfhausen Datensätze aufgezeichnet, aber weder aufzeichnen listet die Eltern.)

Es gibt mehrere Anna Maria Staarmanns in der richtigen zeitlichen Rahmen in Alfhausen nach dem records geboren, und ich glaube, ich habe richtig die verschiedenen Anna Maria Staarmann Ehen abgebildet. Die eine, die scheinen mir gehören würde, würde ihr 23 im Alter von Ehe und ein Jahr älter als ihr Mann machen. Macht das Sinn für die Zeit und Fläche (bei Osnabrück). Es scheint sich um ihre erste Ehe.

Hi,

I have a perhaps silly question - is age 23 a common age for a female to marry in Germany in the early 1800s? It would be a little old for a marriage at that time in the USA.

I have an Anna Maria Staarmann from Alfhausen in my family tree who married Johan Josef Grimme from Epe/Malgarten. The marriage was in 1818 in Epe/Malgarten. I have a transcription of the church records from Alfhausen and I am trying to figure out which Staarmann family my Anna Maria came from. (The marriage is recorded in both the Epe/Malgarten and Alfhausen records but neither record lists the parents.)

There are several Anna Maria Staarmanns born in the correct time frame in Alfhausen according to the records, and I think I have correctly mapped the various Anna Maria Staarmann marriages. The one that would appear to be mine would make her 23 at the age of marriage and a year older than her husband. Does this make sense for the time and area (near Osnabruck). It appears to be her first marriage.

• Hallo,
    Ja, dies ist noch ein relativ gutes Alter.
    Ich habe in meinem Stammbaum auch eine Heirat, wo die Ehefrau 23 Jahre alt ist und der Ehemann nur 22.
    ---
    Hello,
    Yes, this is still a relatively good age.
    I have in my tree a marriage too, where the wife is 23 years old and the husband only 22.

Greetings from Germany,
    David

• Hi Sephy,

In my view, this is a very difficult question. I think that any age between 17 and 30 is pretty normal for women. And the man being a few years younger is not an exception.

In many regions the owners of farms got married early (in their early 20s) whereas the age at marriage for maidservants or dependent farm labourers who had no property/land tended to 30 rather than 20. You can find that out only, if you analyse a larger number if cases.

As far as I understood your posting, you're trying to find out, which are the "correct" parents. What I'd suggest is to have a closer look at the godfathers' names in the birth entries of the couple's children. Grandparents often appeared as godfathers, siblings too. So you may deviate from these names which one the right family is.

Best regards,
    Simone