Great Grandfather was with the German Army before 1873

• Im looking for information regarding my Great Grandfather who fought in Italy and Algiers before coming to the United States in1873. His name is Eugen Kreh he was born on 21 June 1853 and is the sone of Carl H Kreh and Ida Becht. I would like to find out what rank he was and as much about the war that was going on at the time. Any information is appreciated :danke:

• Hello,

I think Eugen wasn't a german.

1873 he was twenty.

The staates in German (Prussia, Bavaria, Saxonia,....) don' t fight in Italy and Algerian.

He was to young, for fighting in the Italian-independent-fight 1859.
    In Algerian was no war, only guerilla-fightings between the french army and the french-indepedent-party.

Jürgen

• Hello and welcome to this forum!

I think the same as the others, there is something that doesn't match in this story.
    I also think it must rather be the French Army than the German Army.

If it is the German Army it's important to know where he was born or where he lived.
    Especially because there was not only one German Army at this time.

Are you sure that you mentionned us the right years?
    From which source do you know that he came to the US in 1873?
    I couldn't find any proof of this in the passengerlists.

By the way there were 3 wars of Independence in Italy.
    The last one was 1866, the end of this war was 1870.
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italienische_Unabhängigkeitskriege

Regards

Svenja

• info to the firstname
    EUGEN
    USAGE: German, Romanian, Czech, Slovak, Croatian
    PRONOUNCED: OI-gen (German)
    Meaning & History
    Form of Eugenius (see EUGENE).
    VARIANT: Evžen (Czech)
    OTHER LANGUAGES: Eugenios, Eugenius (Ancient Greek), Eógan (Ancient Irish), Owain, Yvain, Ywain (Arthurian Romance), Evgeni (Bulgarian), Eugene, Owen, Gene (English), Eugène (French), Uxío (Galician), Eoghan, Owen (Irish), Eógan, Eoghan (Irish Mythology), Eugenio (Italian), Evgenij (Macedonian), Eugeniusz (Polish), Eugênio (Portuguese), Evgeni, Evgeniy, Evgeny, Yevgeni, Yevgeniy, Yevgeny, Genya, Zhenya (Russian), Eoghan, Euan, Ewan, Ewen (Scottish), Eugenio (Spanish), Yevheniy (Ukrainian), Owain, Owen (Welsh), Owain (Welsh Mythology)

see also -> EUGENE
    USAGE: English
    PRONOUNCED: YOO-jeen, yoo-JEEN
    Meaning & History
    English form of Eugenius, the Latin form of the Greek name Ευγενιος (Eugenios) which was derived from the Greek word ευγενης (eugenes) meaning "well born". It is composed of the elements ευ "good, well" and γενης (genes) "born". This was the name of several saints and four popes.
    This name was not particularly common in Western Europe during the Middle Ages. It became more popular in part due to the fame of Prince Eugene of Savoy (1663-1736), a French-born general who served the Austrian Empire. A notable bearer was the American playwright Eugene O'Neill (1888-1953).
    DIMINUTIVE: Gene