Search Forum

Our Magazines

Dear visitor, Welcome to Forum zur Ahnenforschung . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

basil100

Trainee

• "basil100" started this thread

Societies: Wendish Heritage Society

Sunday, December 1st 2013, 4:48am

Alternative Surname?

Hello fellow researchers
I am puzzled by several entries from the Evangelische duplicate church books for Werben (Kr Cottbus). A series of alternative surnames are given:
1. Lise Dahlitz oder Schwarzko is the unmarried mother of Christian Dahlitz (1825/36)
2. Anna Dahlitz oder Schwarzko and Hans Chuddi oder Koal are named as the parents in this record (1827/10). Martin Schwarzko of Werben is named as the first Godparent.
3. Christiane Schielka oder Schwarzko is the mother (no father listed) of Friedrich (1852/100). I think the record shows a Schwarzko as a Godparent but this is hard to read.
What do these alternative records mean? I have been told that these families are Wendish (Sorbian). Under what circumstances would these alternative names be used.
I will be very appreciative of some direction in this matter.
Barry Krueger
basil100 has attached the following files:
  • CD.jpg (55.72 kB - 22 times downloaded - latest: Jun 9th 2017, 12:09pm)
  • AD.jpg (68.34 kB - 15 times downloaded - latest: Jun 9th 2017, 12:09pm)
  • CS0.jpg (20.95 kB - 12 times downloaded - latest: Jun 9th 2017, 12:10pm)

Tuesday, December 3rd 2013, 1:26pm

Hello Barry,

I think, the alternatives do not depend on beeing Sorbian or not: sometimes these alternative names have been used, if a person was born before the marriage of his/her parents. But in this case it was not usual to continue this naming for more than one generation.

Other possibilities:
1. a long time ago there might have been a person whose mother took a new marriage after the dead of his father. If the relationship between the child and the new husband of the mother has been very good - or if the husband was very honorable - the child might have taken both surnames: of his own father and of the new husband of his mother.

2. the mother has been of a (relativly) famous or mighty familiy and took a husband of a less famous family. Then the sense of this doubled surname (in German language most times noticed als "anders genannt" or "alias") may have been used as a symbol for belonging to a famous family.

One example for the last: I know about a Family "Gundelach anders genannt Becker". The Gundelachs have been famous and mighty with their making glass (and with beeing leaders of a glassmakers-association during the 16. century). "Becker" has been nearly a no-name - and so the combination "Gundelach anders genannt Becker" or "Gundelach alias Becker" or "Gundelach-Becker" took part.

Most times these combinations are very old, which makes it hard to learn anything abourt their orign.

Greetings from Hannover

Giacomo
IRGENDWIE sind wir doch ALLE miteinander verwandt... ^^

Tuesday, December 3rd 2013, 10:43pm

To add one possibility more which has been in use until the end of the 19th century:

Sometimes families named themself after a house, an village or an aerea, which belonged to them and took this name as their first or second surename. If the house, village or aerea got its name from a familiy which had possessed it before, both of the names have been surenames.

Greetings again!
IRGENDWIE sind wir doch ALLE miteinander verwandt... ^^

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Sbriglione" (Dec 3rd 2013, 10:47pm)

basil100

Trainee

• "basil100" started this thread

Societies: Wendish Heritage Society

Wednesday, December 4th 2013, 11:59am

Thankyou. Yes, perhaps it is a Hofname or Hausname. I have another ancestor this time from the village of Cortnitz in Saxony - his marriage record from the late 18th century describes him as "Andreas Kleinig called Mieth" - perhaps the same thing
Thankyou
Barry