Information on Adam Mueller

• I'm looking for information on my 6th great Grandfather Adam Mueller born , 17 Nov 1703 in Schreisheim , Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany . He was the son of Johann Peter Mueller born 30 Jun 1660 in Winningen, Mayen-Koblenz, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany and Anna Marie Margaretha Ulrich born 1665 in Neckartailfingen, Germany . I beleive at that time Winningen was part of the Lower Palatinate.

• Thank you that gave me some alternate dates and places. I need to try and confirm some of the information I have but have no idea where in Germany to look for birth and death records.

• If I find out the right town names what types of places in a town would have records I know churches but would there be government type places to look for records from the 1500-1700's

• 'Schreisheim' must read Schriesheim (a village close to Heidelberg).

The main issue with the LDS (familysearch.org) data is, that there are so many spelling mistakes when it comes to the names of places in Germany that you need lots of luck to actually find what you are looking for, especially when you are searching for such a common surname as Müller (Miller).

Probably the kinship book of Schriesheim will be useful for your research:

Karl Schuhmann (2004): Familienbuch Schriesheim 1650-1900, Odenwaldklub Schriesheim e.V.

For further details see here:
    https://openlibrary.org/books/…uch_Schriesheim_1650-1900

Not sure if you can get a copy in the US, but it has also been micro filmed by the LDS: Notes Family lineage book for Schriesheim, Baden. Call Number 943 B4do ser. B v. 308
    I assume that the kinship book is based essentially on the church records of Schriesheim, which are at the archive of the Archdiocese at Freiburg (catholic) or at the Evang. country church archive at Karlsruhe (lutheranian). Most likely, the catholic records are in Latin and the lutheranian records might be in ancient German. The Church books have also been filmed by the LDS and can be ordered on lease to your nearby FHC.

As a general point, there is no government type place to look for records from before 1870/1871 (the year they started with civil records). Before that, you'll have to rely on church records.

Cheers,
    Rossi

• Awesome very good information I would not have thought civil records started that late but then I never would have dreamed that my 8-10th great grand fathers were born in the Holy Roman empire not simply in Germany , I have learned a lot about the history of Germany and Switzerland since starting this. I will try for LDS records next and the start comparing town names . Thank you for the help.