Search Forum

Our Magazines

Dear visitor, Welcome to Forum zur Ahnenforschung . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

FLMark

Beginner

• "FLMark" started this thread

Saturday, March 22nd 2014, 2:19am

Binz - Baden

Hello,

I am trying to verify if I am correct, and if not, need help finding information.

My great grandfather, Albert Binz, arrived in the US in 1893, and was soon naturalized as an American citizen shortly after. In his papers, he lists that he was from Baden, Germany. On other documents, he lists that his father's name was Steffen or Steffan. On his death certificate and gravestone, it lists his birth date at 20 Aug 1868. It lists that his mother is unknown.

In my searches, I do find a German birth record for an Albert Binz; however, the father's name listed is Stephan Binz and the birth date as 30 Aug 1968. The record lists Karolina Simon as the mother.

I am thinking that this is his record. I am under the impression that the German pronunciation for Stephan sounds like Steffan in English, and I am thinking that the day of birth only being ten days off is just a record keeping error.

----

Also, I am unable to find any information on his wife, who traveled to the US prior to their marriage. Mary A Brumen is her name, and her parents are Herman Brumen and Anna Krommen. She was born 4 Jul 1873 and arrived in the US in 1892.

Thank you,

Mark

Edit: added the mother name that is found on the birth record for Albert Binz.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "FLMark" (Mar 22nd 2014, 2:39am)

FLMark

Beginner

Saturday, March 22nd 2014, 2:56am

I've decided to post the record that I've found. It lists the birth as 29 Aug 1868 and the baptism as 30 Aug 1868.

----

Name: Albert Binz
Birth Date: 29 Aug 1868
Birth Place: Gündlingen, Baden, Germany
Baptism Date: 30 Aug 1868
Baptism Place: Gündlingen, Baden, Germany
Father: Stephan Binz
Mother: Karolina Simon
FHL Film Number: 871382
Reference ID: 2:55VK5D

Save This Record
Attach this record to a person in your tree as a source record, or save for later evaluation.
Save
Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Germany, Select Births and Baptisms, 1558-1898 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014.
Original data: Germany, Births and Baptisms, 1558-1898. Salt Lake City, Utah: FamilySearch, 2013.
Description:
This collection includes birth and baptism records from Germany. Learn more...

Saturday, March 22nd 2014, 5:28am

I am under the impression that the German pronunciation for Stephan sounds like Steffan in English

That's right and I'm pretty sure that Albert from Gündlingen is the right one.
Mary's maiden name was not Brumen but Brunner and she was born in June, not July.
animei has attached the following file:
Gruß
Anita

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "animei" (Mar 22nd 2014, 5:52am)

Saturday, March 22nd 2014, 6:32am

Acc. to the Passenger List the last residence of Hermann, Marie and Joseph was Techtingen, but I could not find such a place.
  • PL.jpg (55.83 kB - 30 times downloaded - latest: Dec 10th 2016, 8:19pm)
Gruß
Anita

FLMark

Beginner

Saturday, March 22nd 2014, 2:10pm

Anita,

Thank you so much!

On Mary's birthday, I did have June in my tree, but somehow I stated July.

It looks like on the record the last name would be spelled in German as Brüner, right?

Again, Thank you,

Mark

FLMark

Beginner

Saturday, March 22nd 2014, 2:30pm

Anita,

I found a book that references Techtingen through a Google search. It references a place called Techtingen im Oberelsaß.

http://books.google.com/books?id=-BJCAAA…htingen&f=false

And searching for Oberelsaß, I find this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberelsaß

Mark

Saturday, March 22nd 2014, 6:40pm

Mark,

I think the right place name is Jechtingen. There I found a birth record of German Brunner in 1842.
In the Passenger List I also read German.
His parents were Roman and Petronella née Kromer.
  • 1842.jpg (82.93 kB - 21 times downloaded - latest: Dec 11th 2016, 2:48am)
Gruß
Anita

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "animei" (Mar 22nd 2014, 6:43pm)

Saturday, March 22nd 2014, 7:25pm

Now I'm a little confused since I found German's marriage to Magdalena Duerr. You say his wife was Anna Krommen (Kromer?).
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J4LK-C7R

But Census 1900 says German Bruner born Febr. 1842, that all fits.
Gruß
Anita

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "animei" (Mar 22nd 2014, 7:33pm)

FLMark

Beginner

Saturday, March 22nd 2014, 7:35pm

Yes. It is possible that he was married to Magdalena Duerr, because she is not on the passenger list, she could have died and he remarried in the US (?). I got Mary's parent's names from her death certificate.
FLMark has attached the following file:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "FLMark" (Mar 22nd 2014, 7:38pm)

Saturday, March 22nd 2014, 7:48pm

Yes, I've already seen the death certificate but I do not believe that German remarried. In 1900 he's living widowed alone with his son Joseph and on his gravestone no wife is mentioned. I rather think the informant didn't know it better.

And even if German remarried, his second wife would not be Marie's mother. He married in Sept. 1872 and Marie was born in June or July 1873, so only Magdalena Duerr could be her mother.

Maybe you should order the film Nr 889845: https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/…story%20Library to look for Marie's birth record.
Gruß
Anita

This post has been edited 5 times, last edit by "animei" (Mar 23rd 2014, 3:39am)

FLMark

Beginner

Sunday, March 23rd 2014, 3:47am

I think that you are right about Magdalena Duerr, and about German not remarrying. I am thinking about ordering the film, but I have no idea about it. It appears that I can only rent the film, and I have no idea about viewing it and my German is German 101, so I probably would not understand it. I think that I am going to go by what you say, it just makes too much sense to me.

Saturday, December 10th 2016, 4:23pm

I have a question regarding my Record for Stephan Binz:

Stephan Binz
1834–1907
BIRTH 11 MAY 1834 • Gündlingen, Freiburg, Baden
DEATH 01 MAR 1907 • Gündlingen, Freiburg, Baden

I see a birth record and a marriage record that appear to be his, but the mother listed is different.

Birth Record lists: Verena Dörflinger

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2DS9-SR4

Marriage lists: Maria Anna Hanser

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2DSS-SC3
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J4YW-WD4

Is it possible the marriage record was indexed incorrectly?

Thanks,
Mark