Search Forum

Our Magazines

Dear visitor, Welcome to Forum zur Ahnenforschung . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

SwanC

Trainee

• "SwanC" started this thread

Societies: Maus/Bremen

Monday, October 6th 2014, 2:09am

Check a Latin translation to German and English?

Hello again,

Can someone take a look at my translation to German and English of a short line of Latin?

Latin text:

"item Swanowo a nomine proprio: Swan enim dicitur id quod vocatus;"

German translation:

"ebenso Swan/Schwaan auf Grund des Eigennamens: Swan, denn es wird gesagt, das ist was er genannt wurde;"

English translation:

"likewise the place of Swan due to the proper name: Swan, for it is said that is what he was called;"

The phrase is from Wigger, Friedrich: Des Bischofs Boguphal von Posen Nachrichten über Meklenburg - 1249, in Mecklenburg Jahrbücher, Schwerin, 1862; S.128.

Thanks,

Chris

Detlef05

Trainee

Monday, October 6th 2014, 10:44am

Hello Chris,

German:
ebenso Swanowo (Swanow? Swanowus?) wegen des merkwürdigen Namens: angeblich Swan wie gerufen.

English:
in the same way Swanow (?) becuase of the strange name: reportedly Swan because given that way.

Kind regards
Detlef

SwanC

Trainee

• "SwanC" started this thread

Societies: Maus/Bremen

Monday, October 27th 2014, 1:35pm

Hi Detlef,

We went out of town, and I wasn't able to reply until now. The translation of the Latin "nomine proprio" is very interesting. Can you tell me what source gives "merkwürdigen" for "proprio", as most give something in English fairly close to "his own" or "his proper". I have now consulted several sources but I haven't received the same answer twice, so it still remains unsettled in my mind. Unfortunately, I don't know enough Latin or German to be the judge of which is more accurate.

Best wishes,

Chris

Detlef05

Trainee

Monday, October 27th 2014, 4:28pm

Hello Chris,

I guess it is proprie instead of prorio. For translation Latin-German: http://de.pons.com/%C3%BCbersetzung?q=pr…=dela&in=&lf=de.
For translation German-English use http://dict.leo.org/.

Maybe you will prefer another translation than I did due to your context.

Kind regards
Detlef