Regimentsstab 14. Kompanie Grenadier-Regiment 1243

• Hello fellow researchers,

I am hoping there is someone who can
    provide me with information regarding my uncle’s Army Unit.

His name is Heinz WABNITZ born 06 October
    1927 in Friesen, Germany. He was a
    soldier in the Regimentsstab 14. Kompanie Grenadier-Regiment 1243 and also
    Angehöriger der Einheit Grenadier-Ersatz und Ausbildungs-Bataillon 82 erfasst.

He was listed as missing at Stalingrad
    early in 1945.

I would appreciate information about the
    Units he served in, where they served, photographs relating to the Unit and, if
    possible, names of soldiers that were part of this Unit.

One further request regarding campaign
    medals or military awards for those soldiers belonging to this unit - are they
    entitled to receive such awards and how can I obtain such awards?

Any information would be very much
    appreciated.

Regards from Australia,

Henry

• Hi

Welcome to the Forum!

From which sources do you have this information?
    Did you send a request at the WASt or the DRK? If not you should do it.
    The DRK has documents about missing soldiers and prisoners of war in Russia.

I have just seen that they have a new Website:
    https://www.dd-wast.de/de/startseite.html
    https://www.dd-wast.de/de/dien…onenbezogene-anfrage.html

https://www.drk-suchdienst.de/…-request-second-world-war

Regards
    Svenja

• Hello Svenja,

Sorry for the delay in replying and thank you for your information.
    The source of this information is from my own family records with confirmation received from the Deutsche Dienststelle and Deutsche Red Cross in regards to my uncle Heinz WABNITZ.
    My main interest now is his Military unit - Regimentsstab 14. Kompanie Grenadier-Regiment 1243 and also Angehöriger der Einheit Grenadier-Ersatz und Ausbildungs-Bataillon 82 erfasst.
    I would appreciate any information regarding the Units he served in, where they served, photographs relating to the Unit and, if possible, names of soldiers that were part of this Unit.
    Regarding campaign medals or military awards for those soldiers belonging to this unit - are they entitled to receive such awards, how can I obtain such awards and who must I contact?

Best regards,
    Henry

• Hi Henry

Regarding campaign medals or military awards I think information if he had got one or not must be at the WASt.

Zitat

how can I obtain such awards and who must I contact?

I know it is possible to obtain such awards in the UK for British soldiers, but I have never heard that this is also possible in Germany for the German soldiers.

Zitat

Grenadier-Ersatz und Ausbildungs-Bataillon 82

If this is his Regiment on the Erkennungsmarke (identification tag), then he had been there before he went into a theatre of war.
    Usually the inscription on the identification tag was not changed, if he was transfered to another unit which was activ in the war.
    Such units were for training to be a soldier or when he was recovering from wounds to be reintegrated later in the regular troops.

Regards
    Svenja