Research in East Prussia

• How can I search for my family member with name Caroline Altroggen from Wangnicken, East Prussia? I am brand new on this site and am still confused how to use it, even after reading the suggested information.

Linny :danke:

• Hi Linny,

if you use the GOV-Interface from this website searching for "Wangnicken", you unluckily get 6 different East Prussian locations with this name (some of them nowadays not existing anymore). Thus, to find out which of those places could be the right one would be the first step. Anyway, even if you know the right place, further search for your family member will be very difficult (not to say impossible) if you have something like online access to digitized parish registers in your mind. The simple reason: there is almost nothing online from East Prussia, especially not from the part which today belogs to Russia (Oblast Kaliningrad) ... unfortunately!

Regards
    Uwe

Forschungsschwerpunkte:
    Schönhengstgau: Raum Zwittau/Leitomischl +++ Ostpreußen: Raum Gerdauen, Raum Gumbinnen
    Baden-Württemberg: Raum Abtsgmünd, Raum Rottenburg/Neckar

• Thank you very much, Uwe.

According to her son's (August Herrmann Altrock) birth certificate, the Church is in Lichtenhagen.
    It states that Caroline is deceased by that date. I found his birth recorded in one film I have rented from the familysearch library. At birth he was Altroggen, by the time he got married he was named Altrock.
    No other information on her, since it is only an "Auszug", with other words only part of the certificate.

I appreciate your help. Thanks again. Linny

• Well Linny,

then this must be your place. It is not existing anymore, but the links to the map services on the right side of the website show where this place once used to be. Wangnicken was not a municipality but a "Vorwerk" (sort of farm) and belonged to the parish of Lichtenhagen. On this old German map (access via http://igrek.amzp.pl/mapindex.php?cat=TK25 ) Wangnicken is still drawn in (lower edge of the map, appr. 4 km west from Lichtenhagen, grid square 7459-6052).

And here is a compilation of the parish registers from Lichtenhagen. As you can see, familysearch (LDS) has also films covering 1718-1945. Finally, there ist the pretty new German online portal Archion (https://www.archion.de) which offers liable for costs online access to some of the parish registers from Lichtenhagen . Archion is still extending its range, so in future more parish registers from Lichtenhagen might be available online.

One remark to the "transformation" of the family name as described by you: as I assume, August H. Altroggen was an immigrant to the US. And I think transformations like this one were nothing uncommon when foreign names were soundig a bit too difficulty for English ears and mother tongues.

Regards
    Uwe

Forschungsschwerpunkte:
    Schönhengstgau: Raum Zwittau/Leitomischl +++ Ostpreußen: Raum Gerdauen, Raum Gumbinnen
    Baden-Württemberg: Raum Abtsgmünd, Raum Rottenburg/Neckar

• Vielen Dank für die Hinweise Uwe. Ich werde das alles durchschauen.

Meine Vorfahren haben alle in Ostpreußen gelebt und sind dort gestorben. Ich bin durch Heirat mit meinem Mann in USA gelandet.

Nachdem ich neu auf diesen Seiten bin, weiß ich nicht, ob ich in deutsch oder englisch schreiben soll. Ich bin flüssig in beiden Sprachen.