Search Forum

Our Magazines

Dear visitor, Welcome to Forum zur Ahnenforschung . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, December 23rd 2016, 3:56am

Marx or Max?

I found my ancestors on this site! What I am confused about is that their surname is Marx while my surname is Max. I read in the notes, though, that they are also called Max. I'm happy to know this, but why would they have two surnames?

Here is the record: http://www.online-ofb.de/famreport.php?o…me=MARX&lang=de

Thanks!

John

Heiko

Trainee

Societies: WGGF; CompGen; Roland zu Dortmund

Friday, December 23rd 2016, 8:31am

Hi John,

the spelling of german surnames wasn't defined until 1900 the "Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch" (BGB) was introduced.
So it isn't unusual to find a great variance in surnames.
E.g. variations of my surname are Hungerige, Hungrige, Hungerge, Hungringe, etc.

Best regards
Heiko
Forschungsgebiete:
Bochum, östl. Teil von Ostwestfalen-Lippe (Kreise Lippe, Paderborn und Höxter), West- und Ostpreußen
Häufigste Namen im Stammbaum:
HUNGRIGE, GRÖBLINGHOFF, CRAWINKEL, HUNGERGE, REISDORF, HUNGERIGE, DÖRING, HAASE, PUDENZ, GALUSKE, RECHNER (vor 1920 GRABOWSKI), MICUS, REINEKE, BERG
Homepage:
Familiengeschichte Hungerige bei GENEANET

Societies: GGHH

Friday, December 23rd 2016, 8:46pm

Hello John,

the pronunciation in the northern parts of Germany is often slurred. Especially the „r” is not pronunced in many words. The name Marx (other spelling Marks) sounds as Maaax („a” like the o in other), and this might be the reason for the different spelling.

Saturday, December 24th 2016, 3:30am

I appreciate the information. Thanks to you both!
John

Detlef05

Trainee

Saturday, December 24th 2016, 11:07am

Hello John and Heiko,

registry offices were introduced in Germany since 01.01.1876 (partwise already in 1870). Since that times the spellings of names (first names and surnames) were official.

Kind regards
Detlef

Heiko

Trainee

Societies: WGGF; CompGen; Roland zu Dortmund

Saturday, December 24th 2016, 11:25am

Yes, indeed:

"Mit der Einführung des Personenstandsgesetzes vom 6. Februar 1875 trat dann im Deutschen Reich die Versteinerung der Familiennamen ein."
(German Wikipedia)

Best regards
Heiko
Forschungsgebiete:
Bochum, östl. Teil von Ostwestfalen-Lippe (Kreise Lippe, Paderborn und Höxter), West- und Ostpreußen
Häufigste Namen im Stammbaum:
HUNGRIGE, GRÖBLINGHOFF, CRAWINKEL, HUNGERGE, REISDORF, HUNGERIGE, DÖRING, HAASE, PUDENZ, GALUSKE, RECHNER (vor 1920 GRABOWSKI), MICUS, REINEKE, BERG
Homepage:
Familiengeschichte Hungerige bei GENEANET

Saturday, December 24th 2016, 11:54am

Hi John,

In addition to possible reasons that were already mentioned it could be that one of your ancestors changed the name after emigrating to the US (I assume you are from the US), because Marx is related to communism; maybe during the McCarthy era?
Viele Grüße,
Simone

Familiennamen // Blog zur Familienforschung

Suche alles zur Abdecker-/Wasenmeister-Familie Pickelberger, Pickelsberger, Peckelberger, Peckenberger, Böckelberger, Pöckenberger, Böckenberger u. ä. Schreibweisen in Bayern und Österreich. Auch verwandte Berufe wie z.B. Schuster, Gerber.

Monday, January 9th 2017, 7:03pm

I was thinking the same thing, that my ancestor changed his name when he emigrated to the US. The site admin has told me, though, that she found some of his siblings christening records have the surname of Max. I'll have to search the records myself to see when it was changed. I'm really glad they changed it, though, because I actually like the name Max better than Marx. :)

Thanks for everyone's input!

John