Wilhelm Worstmann (or Wurstmann) from Schrepkow & Marie (geb. Coym) Worstmann from Groß Leppin

• I am looking for help in finding more information and/or church records on my gg-grandparents and their ancestors:

Wilhelm Worstmann, b. 18 Nov 1820 at Schrepkow, Prignitz, Brandenburg, Prussia, d. 4 Feb 1895 at Union, IL, USA

Marie Coym, b. 7 Mar 1818 at Groß Leppin, Prignitz, Brandenburg, Prussia, m. circa 1844, d. 9 Mar 1886 at Union, IL, USA

They had the following children:

Wilhelm Worstmann, b. 18 Feb 1844 at Schrepkow, Kreis Prignitz, Brandenburg, Prussia, d. 5 Mar 1882 at Union, IL, USA

Carl Friedrich August Worstmann, b. 7 May 1851 at Schrepkow, Kreis Prignitz, Brandenburg, Prussia, d. 23 Mar 1869 at Union, IL, USA

Louise Sophie Worstmann, b. 24 Sep 1857 at Groß Leppin, Prignitz, Brandenburg, Prussia, d. 28 Apr 1950 at Union, IL, USA

William Otto Worstmann, b. 16 Oct 1860 at Schrepkow, Prignitz, Brandenburg, Prussia, d. 1948 at Union, IL, USA

The younger Wilhelm Worstmann emigrated to Dongola, Illinois, USA in 1867, arriving at New York 30 September aboard the steamship Hammonia from Hamburg. The rest of the family emigrated to Dongola in1868, arriving at New York on 25 August on the Hammonia.

There is a story in the family (which I do not believe) that they emmigrated to America because of some dispute between the younger Wilhelm Worstmann (my g-grandfather, who may have been a member of the clergy) and Wilhelm I of Prussia.

I would appreciate any help in identifying where I might find records that would extend my knowledge of my German ancestors.

Thanks in advance.

John Linn
    Richardson, Texas, USA