Search Forum

Our Magazines

Dear visitor, Welcome to Forum zur Ahnenforschung . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, July 12th 2011, 10:47pm

Family History Library Catalogue

I have found on familysearch that there is information on microfilm about Bentschen, Posen. Can anyone tell me how I can take a look at this film? Is it possible through the internet, or do I have to buy the film? I have no idea how this works.

Here is the link:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/…0&columns=*,0,0

Tuesday, July 12th 2011, 10:57pm

Janetra,

for a small fee you can order the film to your next FamilySearch Center: https://www.familysearch.org/films/
Gruß
Anita

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "animei" (Jul 12th 2011, 11:00pm)

Wednesday, July 13th 2011, 12:12am

Janetra,

for a small fee you can order the film to your next FamilySearch Center: https://www.familysearch.org/films/
small fee?!
There are 8 film-rolls = 8x 8,50 Euro
Or you must order only this time-period & event you really need.
Software für Ahnenforscher: wiki-de.genealogy.net -> Computergenealogie -> Genealogie-Programme oder gleich TNG v12!

Wednesday, July 13th 2011, 9:49pm

Thank you for your help. Perhaps you can help me again. If I go to the Family Search Centre with a family name, can a search be made to find out if this name is on any of the rolls of film, or do I have to search for myself? I cannot look at 8 rolls of film and hope that I can find the name RABBEL on them.

It is so easy to find information on my family in England but in Germany it is very difficult!

Best wishes,
Jan

löhken

Trainee

Friday, July 15th 2011, 3:37pm

hi jan,
you are right, british records are very well kept. of course you have to take into account that lots of german records throughout the centuries were destroyed due to wars, fires etc. then an issue is that you'd find 2 major categories of records: municipal records and church = parish records . coming with it the changing structures within "germany" : the " kleinstaaterei" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kleinstaaterei ) went on until 1870, some administrative divisions on lower levels even changed later on.
basically, this means for your research always to have in mind the geographical and political background for the specific time frame.
referring to your questions. not necessarily you have to have a look into the microfilms. the main advantage would be that you saw the photographed copy of some document, in german records most of the time parts of record books. there'd be extras such as witnesses and so on. a huge disadvantage for yourself probably would be that records would be in german handwriting (style depending on the era) or eventually if they were parish registers, in clerical latin.
what you can do first hand is to use the internet to gather as much information as possible. never forget to handle any source with care: lots of organizations work with volunteers who are more or less familiar with it and there can always be mistakes being made. have the information as a guide line.
familysearch can be a huge help as a free data pool. with a few tricks you can get quite a lot of information out it, with a little luck you can even construct several generations. of course there is lots of other forums as well for ppl needing help resp. giving information on their findings, whole family trees and so on. keep looking! even if you wouldn't find anything on some place or name, you might well do so half a year later on; in germany, some records are only in the beginning of being digitalized.
that much for now, let me know if i can be of further help,
matt.

löhken

Trainee

Friday, July 15th 2011, 4:44pm

important! >> karl rabbel and lehmann

in the meantime i've noticed you did quite a lot of research on german ancestors already :)
for your rabbel search:
on myheritage.de there's a guy called rodney hunt (maybe an alias?) who has a karl rabbel with photo + wife + sons fritz and karl, a lisbeth = elisabeth lehmann, erwin. wouldn't be surprised if it were the ones you are looking for. for now i can't get more details as one has to contact the guy to get access to his family tree.
on the same site seems to be a lady called lehman with her own tree, but in touch with the guy above.

http://brandenburg.rz.htw-berlin.de/neum…eritz_gross.jpg <-- map of the meseritz area

Thursday, July 21st 2011, 8:19pm

Hi Matt,

Thank you very much for all the information and advice you have sent me. The earliest entry in the Stammbuch of the family Rabbel is:
Karl Rabbel geb. am 21.6. (9)?. 1864 zu Pinnow, Kreis West-Sternberg, gest. 15.1.1947
Ehefrau Auguste geb. Pfeiffer geb. am 20.12. 1861 zu Dürrlettel, gestorben am 22.3.1906.

Karl Rabbel married again after 1906 but I don`t have any further details.

"familysearch can be a huge help as a free data pool. with a few tricks
you can get quite a lot of information out it, with a little luck you
can even construct several generations. of course there is lots of other
forums as well for ppl needing help resp. giving information on their
findings, whole family trees and so on. keep looking! even if you
wouldn't find anything on some place or name, you might well do so half a
year later on; in germany, some records are only in the beginning of
being digitalized.

that much for now, let me know if i can be of further help,"

If you can explain how to get more information from family search, I would be very interested. I have been searching for more details for about 5 years now but am about to give up! I am sure that all the documents were destroyed.

Best regards.
Jan