Lakies Family from Barkehmen

• Hello..I live in Canada and sadly do not speak German..I came across this website after a search for information on my Grandmother's family. Her name was Bertha Lakies..she was born in Barkehmen in January 1908.She came to Canada in 1924 and lost touch with her family sometime around the war.I really don't know alot about her family other than a few names I heard mentioned...Adolph..Wilhelm...Marta and Gerta...thanks for any information anyone can help me with

Lorelei

Moderator-Übersetzung/Translation:
    Hallo..Ich wohne in Kanada und spreche leider kein Deutsch. Ich fand diesen Website bei der Suche nach Informationen zur Familie meiner Großmutter. Sie hiess Bertha Lakies..Sie wurde in Barkehmen in Januar 1908 geboren. In 1924 kam sie nach Kanada, und irgendwann um die Kriegszeit hat sie den Kontakt zu ihrer Familie verloren. Ich weiss nicht viel über die Familie, ausser ein paar Namen, hier and da aufgeschnappt .....Adolph..Wilhelm...Marta and Gerta...Danke für irgendwelche Hilfe.

• Hallo, sicher ist die Region DARKEHMEN gemeint.
    Ab 1938 gehörte diese zum Kreis Angerapp.
    Hier ein link zu einer Seite über Darkehmen :
    http://www.darkehmen.com

Viele Grüße
    Ingrid

Hello, the region is most probably DARKEHMEN.
    From 1938 this was part of the Districct of Angerapp.
    Here is a link to a webpage about Darkehmen :
    http://www.darkehmen.com

regards,
    Ingrid

• Evelin..I tried to send you a private e-mail but perhaps you didn't get it. Do you know any more about this branch of what could be our family tree?I am 56 years old and live in Thunder Bay Ontario Canada.My mother was Doris and she was Bertha Lakies only child .Bertha (my Grandma) came to Toronto Canada in 1924 at age 16.She married twice and died in 1995.I am so happy to hear from you. You can e-mail me at lnakeff@hotmail.com or lnakeff@tbaytel.net.I would love to hear from you.
    regards Lorelei

Evelin..Ich habe versucht, dir eine private e-mail zu senden, aber vielleicht hast du es nicht bekoomen. Weißt du mehr über diesen Zweig, der evtl. von unseren Familienstammbaum ist ? Ich bin 56 und wohne in Thunder Bay Ontario Kanada. Doris, meine Mutter, war das einzige Kind von Bertha Lakies. Bertha (meine Großmutter) kam als 16-jährige in 1924 nach Toronto Canada. Sie heiratete zweimal und ist in 1995 gestorben. Ich freue mich sehr, von dir zu hören. Du kannst mir e-mails schicken an lnakeff@hotmail.com oder lnakeff@tbaytel.net. Ich würde gerne von dir hören.
    Gruß, regards Lorelei

• Evelin..do you know if there is a place in Barkehmen that we could write to ? I know that area is now part of Poland.Is there a chance they would have any records of the Lakies family?I am very excited to find you.

Lorelei

Evelin.. weisst du von irgendwo in Barkehmen, die wir anschreiben können ? Ich weiss, diese region ist jetzt Teil von Polen. Gibt es die Möglichkeit, dass sie Akten über die Lakies Familie hätten ? Ich bin sehr aufgeregt, das ich dich gefunden habe.

Lorelei

• Hi Lorelei, Hi Evelin,

great, that you've found each other. Success stories like this are always good to see; even if they don't join in on the topic, there are always lots of people who follow the topic and rejoice with you.
    I've been following and translating the topic so far, and when I'm off-line, there will be others who are happy to help out with translating.

best regards to both of you :)

schön, dass ihr euch gefunden habt. Solche Erfolgsgeschichte sind immer schön zu sehen; auch wenn sie sich nicht im Thema melde, gibt es viele, die alles mitlesen und sich für euch beiden freuen :)
    Ich habe bis jetzt alles verfolgt und übersetzt, und wenn ich off-line bin, gibt es auch anderen hier, die euch beim Übersetzen behilflich sein werden.

Schöne Grüße an euch beiden :)

Bob

• Hello Bob ...Thankyou so much for your help with translation.I'm working on learning how to operate a program that helps me translate english to german.Beside not speaking German ..I'm not that technical either haha.I will keep trying!!!

Thank you again

Lorelei

• Dear Evelin...I'm posting this here so hopefully it will be translated for us. I have very very good news. I went to see my sister who had the letters I was telling you about,from the 1930's. The very first letter I picked up was to Berta Lakies from Amalie Lakies(her mother).I also have a piece of paper with some old addresses and names on it....Grete Pettau and Adolph Lakies ! So this is our connection !! I am so happy to tell you this. I have many many letters and several photos that over the next few weeks I will copy and send to you.

with warmest wishes
    Lorelei

Liebe Evelin, ich poste dies hier und hoffentlich wird es für uns übersetzt. Ich habe sehr gute Nachtrichten. Ich besuchte meine Schwester, die die Briefe der 1930er Jahre hatte (ich hatte dir davon erzählt) . Der allererste Brief, den ich ansah, war an Bertha Lakies von Amalie Lakies (ihre Mutter). Ich habe auch einen Zettel mit alten Anschriften und Namen drauf ... Greta Pettau und Adolph Lakies ! Hier also ist unsere Verbindung !! Ich freue mich so sehr, dir dies sagen zu können. Ich habe viele, viele Briefe und einigen Fotos, die ich dir im Laufe der nächsten Wochen zuschicken werde.

Mit allerherzlichsten Grüßen,
    Lorelei

• Hello Evelin...I have tried to send through email a few photos and a letter from Amalie to Bertha.If you can not open this it is because i have problems hooking up my scanner.I don't want you to think I'm sending you a computer virus.I will figure this out yet.

Lorelei

Ich habe versucht, dir ein paar Foros und einen Brief von Amalie an Bertha zu senden, Falls du es nicht öffnen kannst, dann eben weil ich noch Schwierigkeiten habe, meinen Scanner anzuschliessen. Ich will nicht, dass du denkst, ich schicke dir einen computer-virus. Ich werde es schon hinkriegen.

• Same Grandparents => you are cousins
    Same Greatgrandparents => you are second cousins
    Same Greatgreatgrandparents => you are third cousins
    etc
    "Great" and "Grand" are actually interchangeable, so you just count the 'G's

(or so I believe, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gleiche Großeltern => ihr seid Kusinen (ersten Grades)
    Gleiche Urgrosseltern => ihr seid Kusinen 2. Grades
    Gleiche Ururgrosseltern => ihr seid Kusinen 3. Grades
    usw.

In englisch ist es einfacher, da "Great" und "Grand" austauschbar sind; also man zählt einfach die 'G'
    (auf deutsch ist es Anzahl der 'Ur' + 1)

Glaube ich mindestens, sicherlich wird man mich korrigieren, when ich falsch liege :)

Gruß / regards,
    Bob

Relationship calculator / Verwandschaftsrechner
    => additional utilities
    ---> show all relationships

• Hello...I forgot to ask you what Amalie's husband name is.(our great grandfather)I will send you copies of everrthing I have. I have spent most of this day sorting the letters and putting them in order of age. It looks like most of the letters are from Amalie to Bertha.I should have everything copied and in the mail to you within 2 weeks .

with warmest regards

Lorelei

Ich vergass, dich zu fragen, wie hiess der Man von Amalie (unseren Urgroßvater) Ich werde dich Kopien von senden, von allen was ich habe. Ich habe fast den ganzen Tag verbracht, alles zu ordnen und sortieren in chronologischenReihenfolge. Es sieht so aus, als ob die meisten Briefe von Amalie nach Bertha gingen. Ich denke, innerhalb zwei Wochen werde ich alles sortiert und dir zugeschickt haben.

• I have 1 very small piece of paper with Amalie's name as Amalie Lakies (Kutz) August 1, 1875.Gleisgarben(?).There is a man who lives a short distance from me who is coming to my house today to look at all these letters.He says he may know how to read them....another exciting day !There is so much I want to know about you and your family and tell you about myself and my family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

with love Lorelei

Ich habe ein sehr kleines Stück Papier mit Name Amalie als "Amalie Lakies (Kutz) August 1, 1875.Gleisgarben(?)" darauf. Heute kommt ein Mann vorbei, der bei mir in der Nähe wohnt, um diese Briefe anzusehen. Er meinte, vielleicht kann er sie lesen ... noch ein aufregender Tag! Es gibt so viel, die ich über dich und deine Familie wissen möchte, und dir über mich und meine Familie erzählen will !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• well .sadly my friend could not read the letters.:(:(...He did take a copy of a few of them to his older sister.So what I am going to do is just send you copies and maybe you know someone who can decipher them.I will also copy the backs of the pictures ..some have writing on them.I'd better get busy!!!!!!!!!!

Lorelei

na ja, traurigerweise konnte mein Freund die Briefe doch nicht lesen :( :( ... Er machte ein paar Kopien, um sie seiner älteren Schwester zu geben. Also, was ich jetzt machen werde, ist einfach die Briefe dir schicken und vielleicht kennst du jemand, der die entziffern kann. Ich werde auch die Rückseiten kopieren, manche sind auch beschrieben. Jetzt muß ich aber 'ran !!!!!

• Lorelei,

Evelin is "on the job" already :)
    She has posted a couple of letter in the "Lesehilfe" / Reading help
    Bitte um Lesehilfe
    I've also posted there, asking for translations if possible. I'll translate too, whenever I have time, but others may want to help out too :)

regards,
    Bob

Evelin, ich erzähle Lorelei gerade, dass du schon dabei bist, Hilfe zu holen :)