Same woman ?

• I have Margarethe WENDEL (WETZEL) DAMMANN, my g'g'g'g'grandmother in the 1803 Itzehoe Census (family No. 315) at 36 years old.

In census VZ1835 (see below*) there is this Margaretha DAMMANN living in Eckernforde. NOTE: different spelling of given name, one is with an ( e ) and one is with an ( a ) ALSO about a 3 year difference in age.

Same person ?

Name: Margaretha Dammann
    Tätigkeit / Beruf:
    Konfession:
    Familienstand: Witwe
    Wohnstätte / Straße: Hinterstrasse, Haus Nr.101
    Status im Haushalt:
    Zusatzangaben zur Person: Alumna des Otteschen Stifts
    Jahr der VZ: VZ1835
    Familien-Nr.: EIIIQ296F01
    Lfd Nr.: 3.265
    AKVZ Erfassungs-Nr.: V2150

Thank you and any help will be very much appreciated :)

Bob Armbrust
    Port Orange, FL USA

• Hi Bob,

I don't have access to the Itzehoe census of 1083, but I'm a bit confused with the surnames.
    Wendel or Wetzel is assumed to be Margarete Dammans maiden name?

About your question: it may be the same person. The age difference and the slight difference in her name spelling may be explained by shifting her birthday around a bit and considering that it was not herself collecting the data for the census.
    However, you would neither be the first nor the last person stumbling over two people sharing the same name.

So you may need some additional data (marriage records or something like that) for confirmation.

Cheers,
    Rossi

• Thanks Rossi,

Sorry about the confusion. Yes WENDEL (WETZEL) was her maiden name and prior to her marring DAMMANN she bore my 3rd g'grandfather ARMBRUST. I know the connection between the two listings is thin and really can't be confirmed without further proof but I hope someone may have a lead in that direction.

Thank you moderator Anmerkung for compressing my post.

Bob A.

• Hallo Bob,

the German spelling of the Latin name Margareta (from magarita = pearl) ist Margarethe. In former church registers Latin spellings have been common.

Kind regards
    Detlef

• Hallo Bob,
    VZ 1803
    Hinrich Dammann *1757, Herkunft Itzehoe Stadt
    Ehefrau: Margarethe Wendel * 1767, Herkunft Itzehoe Stadt.
    Ihr uneheliches Kind: Matthias Armbrust *1789,
    deren gemeinsame Tochter, Margaretha Damman * 1802
    alle Herkunft Itzehoe Stadt, dort geboren? Kostenpflichtige Auskunft über:
    Kirchenkreis Münsterdorf
    Kirchenbuchamt Münsterdorf
    Heinrichstraße 1, D-25524 Itzehoe, Tel. 04821-68819, mail: verwaltung@kk-muensterdorf.de
    mfg

toter Punkt: Friedrich LUTHER * 04.02.1813 in ???
    einer der Landkreise der Provinz Pommern
    (Luther/Luthe/Lutter/Zuther/Zutter)

• This is as far back as I've been able to go with this ARMBRUST and WENDEL (WETZEL)

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to track them further back ? I wonder who Matthias' father was.

Any assistance will be most appreciated as this has been a brick wall for me for several years.

Thank you,

Bob Armbrust

VZ 1803

:rolleyes:

• VZ 1803

According to the woman in Eckernfoerde: she is 2 years roundabout younger than this Margarethe.

Margarethe Wendel was born in Itzehoe, so the church archives for Itzehoe may help, the mail address is already in this thread.
    A birth entry in 1767 or later may help with babtism and birth
    Same for Mathias Armbrust her son which seems to have a father with surname Armbrust. there the years to search are 1789 and later
    Normally a baptism entry consists of:
    birth day
    baptism day
    Vater Father (name, where living, profession)
    Mutter Mother (name, where living, and sometimes profession, too)
    Gevattern (Taufpaten) Godparents, names, place of living and profession

the census can help finding people, but as some names are very common, often you find several persons who are not those you want to find
    up from 1874 you can find data writing to the registry office. But like church archives the want money for searching, too.
    Some of the book pages from churches are listed here and elsewhere because people searching something copied the whole pages and listed the entries here in the forum or elsewhere.

At least even with entries for both/baptism, confirmation, marriage or death you get lost sometims for some reason:
    - people move
    - sometimes the first christian name is the main one sometimes the second or third and not all get listed always
    - sometimes there are wrongs names in the entries
    - the spelling differs from one entry to another (happening for surnames, too)

just for note: the VZ (census) listings are not completely transcribed from the original listings in Suetterlin. For my I did not find any of the ancestors I have some original documents of marriage, birth or death.

Jutta

* Vorfahren in Hamburg und Schleswig-Holstein *