• I'm researching my roots, particularly in the direction of my mom's maiden name Wilde. I heard all sort of things, that it's English, Irish, Jewish, etc.
    The information I got:

Marion Schmidt, maiden name Wildem born in Telgte/Germany, moved to Bremen/Germany during early adolescence.
    Emma Wilde, mother of Marion Schmidt (Wilde) lives in Telgte/Germany, at some point also in Cologne/Germany and eventually in Bremen/Germany
    Julius Wilde, must be born somewhere at the end of 1800, father of Emma Wilde, lives in Bremen, possibly other living places not known, was in a French prison during some war for some time.

From an inheritance case years back, I know that I'm supposed to have family spread across the globe, so everything is possible. The lawyer talked about America, South Africa, and even Australia.

:danke:

• It would really help if you would know where your mother was from originally, especially where and when she was born.

Years and dates - that's what you need to find your way in genealogy ;)

Also: Is your mother's maiden name Wildem or Wilde?

Also, you've got to know that German records, available both in archives and online, have a vesting time of around 110 years. Nevertheless, as you're researching about your own mother, grandmother and greatgrandfather, you might also get access to younger records.

By the way, I have ancestors from Bremen, too. So, if your ancestors where from Bremen originally, we could stay in touch.

Regards,
    Thankmar

• If you'll find out that your Wilde ancestors have connections to the Wilde family from Lüdinghausen (approx. 40 km southwest of Telgte) I can help you with futher data.

In my database I've got: Bernard Henrich Wilde born 1809 in Lüdinghausen, died 1872 in Hollandtown, Brown County, Wisconsin. Daugther Catherina Elisabeth was bon in Lüdinghausen in 1844 and died in Humphrey, Platte County, Nebraska in 1916. My notes say that I got this info from Mundia.com user solbygeorge (George Solby? Mundia.com is unfortunately no longer online.)

In my database there's also Francis A. Wilds (not WildE) from Nassau County, Florida, son of Asa Francis Adolph Wilds. Please let me know, if there's any connection.

• thankmarvanbriest: Mother's maiden name is Wilde!

zimba123: Well, I cannot say if there is a connection or not. The family is not only very spread out, but there have been also quite a lot of fights in the family which lead to going no contact. Anything is possible.

• Hello fisk,

surnames in Germany became common mainly from 12th to 16th century. The surname WILDE is typic for middle and north Germany (WILD or WILDT in the south).
    The name is an attribute name derived from the Middle High German word "wild" having two meanings: a) wild, immoral, b) foreign, not domestic. That makes clear that there were many families having the same surname but being not connected.

Therefore my recommendation is:
    Try to trace starting with the WILDE-family in Telgte and go back step by step respectively document by document. You can get info from the registry office in Telgte http://www.telgte.de/verwaltun…d=135&menuid=26&topmenu=4. Because of data protection there is a precondition that you are a descendant in direct blood-line.

Kind regards
    Detlef