Search Forum

Our Magazines

Dear visitor, Welcome to Forum zur Ahnenforschung . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

sjalheim

Beginner

• "sjalheim" started this thread

Wednesday, October 31st 2018, 7:19pm

Alheim

Years ago I began my research into how my ancestors came to America. I could find little information before 1847 for quite awhile.

George Alheim (Ahlheim?)

I am now in the planning stages of visiting Germany in April and would like to determine the places I will visit. I have narrowed down the areas near Einhausen as I seem to remember this is where my research led me (My wife and I wish to spend time in Berchtesgaden as well.)

I can trace with certainty to George Alheim (1847-1923, baptism: Evangelisch, Schwanheim, Starkenburg, Hesse-Darmstadt) and his wife Lucinda Cramer (1853-1933). I believe George's parents are
Philipp Alheim (1822-1902, Christening: Evangelisch, Schwanheim, Starkenburg, Hesse-Darmstadt) and Elisabeth Seib (1814-1895)

Although I can not recall now, I believe Philipp's parents were Johann Valentin Alheim (1794-?, Evangelisch, Schwanheim, Starkenburg, Hesse-Darmstadt) and Anna Elisabetha Hartmann (1794-?, Evangelisch, Schwanheim, Starkenburg, Hesse-Darmstadt)

My questions are: Am I correct in thinking Einhausen would be where my family name originated? Is there a contact there to continue my research?

Thank you for your time. I look forward to visiting Germany again in April (I was last there in 1992!)

Steven Alheim

:danke:

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "sjalheim" (Oct 31st 2018, 7:21pm)

Friday, November 2nd 2018, 10:38am

Hi Steven,

I would assume you rather go to Schwanheim directly. The village had its own parish and so it would also have had its own church records. I couldn't find the records digitalized on Archion or Ancestry. As you visit Germany anyway, I would advise you to contact the pastor of Schwanheim-Bensheim directly whose contact details you could find here: https://dekanat-bergstrasse.ekhn.de/geme…schwanheim.html

Best Regards
Thankmar

sjalheim

Beginner

• "sjalheim" started this thread

Friday, November 2nd 2018, 2:52pm

Danke Thankmar! That makes sense and I will contact them soon! :D