• Herman ALMEROTH, born Germany c1762, married in London 1793, died in London 1812 aged 50.

Herman was my 4xgt grandfather, but after 20yrs of research I still do not know where he was born. He came to London where he worked as a sugarbaker, eventually owning and running his own small refinery.

If it helps, he worked for/with Jost Heinrich MUHM (1746-1828) from Gleichen, Hessen (Henry Mum and his brother-in-law Henry Martin were executors to Herman's will); and there may also be an Almeroth/Muhm connection in Schwabendorf, Hessen. A late uncle told me that Herman was from Saxony (might this be Lower Saxony from where many sugarbakers came), though I would not wish this to restrict searches elswhere in Germany.
    I have an extensive Muhm family tree, but there's no mention of Almeroth.

Thank you.
    Bryan

Almeroth, Germany (maybe Hessen).

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... http://www.mawer.clara.net/intro.html ...
    44,000+ database entries, 260+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 300+ wills, etc.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Sugarbakers ()

• Hello Bryan,

I don't know if this is any help, but I have been looking for the Almeroth name in The Netherlands (just to see if there are any there), and I came across a Henrich ALMEROTH. He was buried in the city of Alkmaar on September 12, 1804, aged 42. That would imply he was also born ca. 1762.
    From other records I gathered he married in the city of Groningen in 1801. As his place of birth is stated Holzhausen in Hessen.

Holzhausen (now part of Imminghausen) is close to the Hessian border with Lower-Saxony, so your late uncle may not have been far off.
    Also, Holzhausen isn't that far away from Gleichen (some 40 km.).

I also found other persons with the Almeroth name (or variations of it) stemming from Geismar and Kassel, so I think that is the area you should be researching.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your research,

Henk

Suche Auskünfte über: Antje MANGELS (geb. 1762, Pogum), Hindrik/Hinrich TONNIES/TÖNNIES (später genannt Lipsker) (aus Schötmar, geb. um 1755), Albert WUBBELS (später genannt Luchtenborgh) (geb. um 1660, Klein Fullen), Annecke/Antjen KASPERS (geb. um 1659, vermutlich Esterfeld).

• Hello Henk,

Very many thanks for this new information.

This is not only the first reply to my query on this forum, but also the first serious suggestion I've had that places the name in a specific location at the right time.

I shall now begin to investigate the family in Holzhausen.

My thanks again.
    Best wishes,
    Bryan

Almeroth, Germany (maybe Hessen).

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... http://www.mawer.clara.net/intro.html ...
    44,000+ database entries, 260+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 300+ wills, etc.