Kawerau Coat of Arms

• Hello,

I was looking for more information on our family coat of arms. My grandfather (Einhart Kawerau) had taken a photo from a book some time back and on the back he wrote "1767 Armarium Elbingense", also "Pepper tree on top of three hills". He died before I was born so we never had the chance to talk about it.

There has been some debate on the meaning of the tree and what kind of bird is on top of the helmet. Any insight into the imagery on this coat of arms would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

David

• Hallo David,

so wie es aussieht, hast Du ein Photo vom Eintrag „LA 1589/17“ aus der Sammlung von Prof. Dr. Dr. Kawerau, hier wohl aus der Sammlung „Armarium Elbingense“. Hier der Link zu einer Fundstelle: https://www.bildindex.de/document/obj20704916

Der Vogel auf dem Helm scheint mir eine Taube zu sein (siehe z.B. hier: https://www.heraldik-wiki.de/w…de_to_Heraldry_Fig464.png), die einen Zweig im Schnabel trägt.

Der Dreiberg ist unstrittig.

Ob es sich tatsächlich um einen Pfefferbaum handelt, kann ich so nicht erkennen und ich halte es auch ehrlich gesagt eher für unwahrscheinlich, in einem Wappen aus dem deutschen Sprachraum einen solchen zu finden. Es könnte sich genauso um eine Buche oder eine Linde handeln, das müsste dann aber im Blason stehen.

Eine „Bedeutung“ der Motive im Allgemeinen gibt es nicht, lediglich der Wappenstifter konnte erklären, warum er die Motive gewählt hat.

Die Führung des Wappens dürfte nach hiesiger Auffassung nur namensführenden und dirketen Ahnen des Wappenstifters obliegen; das solltest Du bedenken:-)

Beste Grüße

Robert

• Hello Robert,

Thank you for the information.

What is "Dreiberg"?

Dr Peter W Kawerau was my first cousin twice removed. He was a professor at Marburg/Lahn University. It explains how my grandfather has the various photos that were passed on to me.

To be clear, I'm not looking to use this image publicly or make any special claim to it. I hold a lot of family documentation and history that was all given to me by Maria Kawerau (grandmother) before her death and the information I seek is solely for notes to share with family.

Cheers,

David