Understanding Hannover Church Register Index

• I am new to German genealogy and could use some advice about understanding information in a church register index. From the home page of the Hannover Regional Church Archive, I clicked at link to “Church Register Index According to Garbe1960.” This is a nice index of the many churches in Hannover and it shows information about the years each church was active. I need help understanding what the index says.

I am researching a very small town named Hilter, which can be found in the index. The third column in the index is titled Taufen which I understand means baptism. There are many dates and abbreviations in this column; if I can understand the dates in this column then I can understand the dates in any column.

Here are my questions about the numbers in the Taufen column for Hilter:

• In the upper right corner is the number 1634. Some other columns for HIlter also have 1634 but other columns have 1822 and 1754. I assume this is a year but what does it signify? Is it the first year the church was in operation? Something else?
    • Then appear the numbers L April 1659 – Jan. 1661 followed by L 1665 – 1693 and Uv 1702 – 1729. I understand L stands for lüken which means “gaps” in English. I also understand Uv stands for unvollständig which means “incomplete” in English. So I am seeing three different ranges of years. April 1659 to January 1661 has gaps in the records, 1665 to 1693 also has gaps in the records, and 1702 to 1729 is incomplete. Is this correct? Does this also mean there are NO records before April 1659? Does it also mean there are no records from January 1661 to 1665? And can I assume there are no records after 1729?

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

• Hello,

I don't know that registration, but to me it looks like you are right in every case. Such gaps as from January 1661 to 1665 are possible. Sometimes it could have been because of a war (in this case I don't believe it) or because they did not have a preacher for years - or someone or something has destroyed some parts of the book, which has got a really good chance to be true.

I know such gaps from other churches, too with such reasons...

Greetings from Hannover

IRGENDWIE sind wir doch ALLE miteinander verwandt... ;)

• Hello,

Is it the first year the church was in operation?

Not necessarily, it is the first year from which films of the parish Hilter, church district Georgsmarienhütte, are availible regarding the columbs 3 to 7. In columb 9 you find the last year of availibility: 1852.

So I am seeing three different ranges of years. April 1659 to January 1661 has gaps in the records, 1665 to 1693 also has gaps in the records, and 1702 to 1729 is incomplete.

April 1659 to January 1661 is one gap (ca. 3 years), 1665 to 1693 is another gap (ca. 28 years). 1702 to 1729 is incomplete meaning there are several or many small gaps.

Does this also mean there are NO records before April 1659? Does it also mean there are no records from January 1661 to 1665? And can I assume there are no records after 1729?

Microfilms (MF) from 1634 to March 1659 are available. MF from February 1661 to end of 1664 are availible; there is no gap. Completely available are MF from end of 1729 to 1852.

Kind regards

Detlef

• Sbriglione and Detlef05:

Many thanks! Your information is exactly what I needed and it is a good thing I asked. My understanding was almost entirely wrong about which records exist and which do not exist. A Merry Christmas to you both.

Dick from South Lyon, Michigan USA